Thursday, August 19, 2010

Makeshift Light Tent

A client approached me in need of some macro product shots. I thought the products would look the best if shot in a light tent. The Challenge? I didn't have a light tent and the client needed them the NEXT DAY! Ok, I'm always up for a good challenge. After calling around town and not being able to find the light tent I wanted, it was time to put my ingenuity to work. I ran to good ol' Home Depot. For under $40 I was able to locate and buy 2 daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs (to match the Speedlight on camera flash), 2 reflector dishes, and a 2x4 ft. diffusion panel. I grabbed a large cardboard box from the garage, and cut out windows on the front and sides. I then cut the light diffusion panel into two pieces and taped them over the side windows (but leaving the front open for the camera). I then lined the inside with white paper to prevent any brown color cast. White posterboard was curled and used for the seamless backdrop. I used the flaps on top as a light reflector for the camera's flash. Voilá!!! My very own makeshift light tent! The shots were completed on time, the client was happy, and I felt just a little smarter  ;-)  Here's a few samples of the results...